Serving all people by providing personalized health and wellness through exemplary care, education and research.
Explore health content from A to Z.
I need information about...
Having a very sick or severely injured child is a parent’s worst nightmare. If it happened to your child, would you know the best way to go about getting treatment? Knowing when to call an ambulance is important.
Many emergencies involve sudden injuries caused by bicycle or car crashes, falls, burns, near drownings, electric shocks, or poisoning.
If your child has any of the following signs or symptoms, remain calm, and call 911:
Unconsciousness, fainting, or no response when spoken to
Swallowing a poisonous substance
Rhythmic jerking and loss of consciousness
Trouble with breathing or shortness of breath
Skin or lips that look blue, purple, or gray
Increasing or severe lasting pain
Bleeding that will not stop or a cut that’s large, deep, or involves the head, chest, or belly
Neck stiffness or a rash with fever
Severe bleeding or head trauma
A burn that’s large or involves the hands, feet, groin, chest, or face
A change in mental status like suddenly becoming unusually sleepy or confused
A rapid heartbeat that doesn’t slow down
If you believe your child needs emergency medical care:
Call the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222, if your child has swallowed a medication or poison.
Call 911 or your local emergency number.
Start CPR, if needed.
You have time to first call your child’s pediatrician, if the condition is not life-threatening. He or she will be able to tell you what type of care is best for your situation. If you are not sure if the condition is life-threatening, call 911.
Copyright © 2015 Baylor Scott & White Health. All Rights Reserved. |
3500 Gaston Avenue, Dallas, TX 75246-2017 | 1.800.4BAYLOR